Most people have heard of meditation and probably think yeah, it sounds pretty cool. I hope you will read through today as I want to explain just how much meditation and your subconscious mind can improve your life.
When you unlock the power of your subconscious mind you will begin to notice how much more focus and motivation you are going to have. You will be more able to tune into your intuition, which is the ability to understand something immediately. Who doesn’t need that?
There are so many benefits to meditation most people don’t even think of and I will give you a list of at least seven which I feel are the most important to me. Add years to your life expectancy? Emphatically yes meditators do normally live long and healthy lives.
Unlock the Power of the Subconscious Mind
Most people don’t think much about their subconscious or have any kind of understanding how much it really does affect a person’s everyday life. Meditation takes you into the deeper levels of your consciousness allowing you to become more centered, focused, and relaxed.
There are five levels of brainwaves and one of the main objects of meditating is to get those brain waves into balance. I will list them in order of the highest frequency to the lowest and very briefly describe each one.
- Gamma – 38 Hz to 42Hz Gamma brainwaves have not been studied nearly as much as the other four. This state in my opinion can best be related to learning a new language, or having a spiritual awakening.
- Beta – 13 Hz to 38 Hz Beta is related to your everyday conscious mind and being aware of the outside world. Beta brainwaves are associated with an overactive mind and you can just think of “mind chatter” or not being able to shut down thoughts running through your head. Obviously related to insomnia or not being able to sleep well.
- Alpha – 8Hz to 12 Hz Alpha brainwaves are present when your brain is resting. It could be the onset of sleep, the start of a meditation session or when you are just daydreaming. This is when thoughts flow quietly and you are becoming relaxed. Fears, phobias, old habits begin to cease and new ideas and creativity begins to flow. This is the first layer of our subconscious mind.
- Theta – 3Hz to 8 Hz Theta brainwaves become present during sleep or very deep meditation. You are in a trance-like state where you are focused on signals from within and withdrawn from the outside world. It is a dream-like state with vivid imagery and you will feel like you are floating. This is the deeper part of the subconscious bordering into the unconscious mind.
- Delta – .5 Hz to 3 Hz Deltas are the slowest but loudest brainwaves and are only present during dreamless sleep or extremely deep meditation. This is the most desired and beneficial level because healing and rejuvenation are stimulated. It is where the immune system can be strengthened. This is what we need to meditate on in order to use meditation for the possibility of extending our life expectancy.
Rather than using drugs and chemical interventions a far healthier way to accomplish getting our brainwaves in balance is yoga and meditation. It is said that your subconscious shapes your reality. The alpha, theta, and delta brainwaves of meditation is getting in touch with the subconscious and unconscious and the benefits of reaching these states of mind are very powerful.
Focus and Motivation
If you think of any highly successful person, what do you think are at least two of the most common traits they all share? Whether it be sports, business professionals, authors, scientists or anything else they are all focused and motivated to succeed.
What one thing does every single person have that tries to sabotage us or keep us from being successful? That one thing is resistance whether it be in the form of an inside critical voice saying we can’t or aren’t good enough or every single roadblock that seemingly gets thrown into our way. Procrastination, fear, anxiety all hold us back. So what should be our answer? Meditation.
When we are more relaxed we can think more deeply, make well-thought-out decisions more clearly, and solve problems with confidence. In short our brain becomes more focused and motivated. Just what we need the most.
We are able to think positively, clear every roadblock, and be productive by getting things done now and not making excuses to put things off until a later time.
Tune in to Intution
Intuitive thought is strongest at the cusp of the alpha to theta brainwaves. It is associated with a gut feeling where decisions are made quickly without going over them rationally like you do in the beta brainwave state. This where we can “sense” things and we have an inner knowing. It may be kind of like finding your way through the dark or a deja vu feeling.
The goal is to quiet your conscious mind’s loud voice and get into the deep and powerful subconscious or super-conscious mind where our anxieties, depression, and fears are not even a part of the equation. This is where we can tap into the immune system and the brain releases neurotransmitters to help our brain be more balanced.
You will also be connected to an emotional intelligence where you can knowingly release all the stresses you feel in the higher brainwave states. It is widely accepted that meditators visualize their desires and find success in whatever their endeavors might be.
Is that really any wonder since they are focused, motivated and in touch with their intuitive and powerful subconscious mind?
Seven Benefits of Meditation
- Successful – I have already touched on this and gave a few examples. Most everyone has heard of Tony Robbins, one of the world’s most widely known motivational speakers. He credits his morning “hour of power” meditation routine with dramatically changing his life. Steve Jobs founder of Apple states that his meditation learned and developed intuition after a trip he made to India. It made such an impact on his life that it allowed him to manage several businesses to be extremely successful. This is just two examples of people who use meditation but there are many, many more including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Oprah Winfrey, Michael Jordan, and Arianna Huffington. The list could go on and on.
- Conquer Addictions – There are so many addictions; food, alcohol, tobacco, gambling, drugs, sex, even coffee! All of these things make you think you are happy and feeling good, right? The truth of the matter is that they can have a severe detrimental impact on our physical and mental health. What if you could train your brain to be happy and have a natural high? I don’t know if you have heard of a “runners high” but that is the state meditators are in and seldom or never have any addictions.
- Overcome depression and anxiety – Doctors prescribe medications to release neurotransmitters in the brain to relieve the symptoms of depression. I won’t go into detail that most of the time they don’t work but their goal is to have the brain release serotonin and norepinephrine. But guess what will do a better job of this? Regular meditation has been proven to boost both of these neurotransmitters when they are low. When we are dealing with anxiety the amygdala in the brain releases the hormones cortisol and adrenaline. After days and days of this it takes a toll our body. Regular meditation will allow us to get those hormonal levels back down to normal.
- Sleep well and beat insomnia – Many people have severe sleep disorders. Again there are always doctors ready to give you a pill and tell you this is all you need to get a good nights sleep. Deep REM stage sleep is what we need and meditators are able to reach this almost every single night. Everyone has heard that you need eight solid hours of sleep every night and I won’t argue but I will say that the quality of your sleep is more important than the quantity. If you want natural and effective sleep where your brain releases melatonin on its own, I suggest meditating before bedtime.
- Lose weight and keep it off – I personally do not know any regular meditators that are overweight. One of the main things that causes people to be overweight is the daily stress in their life. Unfortunately being under stress causes our body to release more cortisol which can cause a toxic effect when there is too much. People then don’t think about eating just to fuel their body, they eat because it feels good to them. This can be tied to in to the earlier mentioned addiction problem and the same truth hold here. Meditate regularly to melt away the pounds and reprogram your brain to eat food to fuel your body, not fill your stomach.
- Be happy and more creative – Unfortunately creativity is an “unlearned” skill. Have you ever noticed that five-year old can have the wildest imagination and big ideas? As we get older partly because of the education system that only teaches standardized tests with facts and figures we will probably never use again, creativity gets lost in the shuffle. Studies and tests done by Dr. George Land prove that this is true. Creativity mainly just means thinking outside the box. Meditating helps you get connected to the alpha brainwaves where your creativity flows. Creative people are some of the happiest people on the planet.
- Longevity and Health – Meditators normally look younger than their true age. While the thought of living longer just because you meditate may seem out of the ordinary, there are many cellular, molecular, body chemical reasons to explain why. The main reason we age is because our cells die prematurely through oxidative stress or trauma. This is called necrosis. When cells die a normal or programmed death it is called apoptosis. All the major diseases such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer, and arthritis can be traced back to free radicals causing oxidative stress and premature cell death. Meditation releases a brain chemical called, brain derived neurotrophic factor or BDNF. This is The King of all neurotrophins and can reverse brain cell death. There is no drug or supplement to help your brain release this. A study done by Rael Cahn MD in 2017 showed over a three-month period how mindful meditation BDNF in your brain can be increased by 280 %. Even through we will not live forever through the practice of mindful meditation we have an edge to live a happier, healthier, longer and more wholesome life.
Anti-aging by Meditating
Meditation is a very powerful tool to be used often and regularly in your longevity toolbox. Today I have tried to give you a brief understanding of how it can make an enormous impact in your lifestyle, possibly positively effecting your likelihood of an increased life expectancy.
Everyone has probably seen meditation CDs in various stores. There are numerous meditation scripts you can do right on YouTube. The goal is to get started and make it a regular habit.
Once you start feeling the difference for yourself your sessions will grow longer. Balancing your brainwaves through the alpha, theta, and delta levels will be very beneficial. Don’t wait any longer, get started towards some positive mindfulness changes in your life now!
Please feel free to leave your questions and comments below. Thank you.